What Is AVID?
A Proven, National, Game Changing Program for Underserved Students
AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is a national college readiness system with over 40 years of proven success. AVID’s mission is to close the opportunity gap among diverse and underrepresented demographic groups. AVID identifies students in the academic middle from these underrepresented groups who have great academic potential.
AVID delivers a demanding college-prep curriculum and facilitates student involvement in extracurricular activities. The AVID program empowers all students to take ownership of their learning, prepare for tomorrow and become leaders.
The formula is simple – raise expectations of students and with the AVID support system, they will rise to the challenge. Over time, AVID’s impact is felt school-wide, as passionate teachers use the strategies gained from AVID professional training in all their classrooms.
AVID STUDENT PROFILE
AVID Students Possess Drive, Discipline and Perseverance
- Academic Middle: C to B overall GPA, average test scores
- Demonstrated Potential: desire and individual determination to work hard, good attendance record, strong teacher recommendations
- Historically Underserved in Four-Year Colleges & Universities: typically first generation in family to attend college, often from families where English is second language and/or in the low socio-economic range
GPS AVID TIMELINE
Alliance Initiates AVID Implementation As Key Gap Closing Strategy … And Our Commitment Continues
- 2009: Funded by a Reaching Out Grant, AVID launches as a full-credit elective at Greenwich High School
- 2013: AVID expands to Central Middle School through additional Reaching Out Grant funding
- 2013: First AVID class (known as the “Sweet Sixteen”) graduates from GHS
- 2013: The Alliance establishes its Mentoring and Scholarship programs to support GHS AVID graduates
- 2014: Proven success – GHS AVID program opens two sections starting with Class of 2018
- 2015: Investment continues with expansion to Western Middle School
- 2019: WMS selects AVID School-wide as its magnet theme
- 2020: The Alliance launches a new initiative, AVID SUCCESS, to centralize and grow its AVID-related support activities
- 2021: The Alliance supports GPS AVID Training for educators from three Title 1 elementary schools
With Alliance Support AVID Is Making A Difference For Greenwich Public School Students & Expanding In The District
$250,000+ Alliance investment in AVID programs/training
500+ GPS students have benefited from AVID programs
Over 300 middle school and high school students currently enrolled in GPS AVID electives
150+ GPS teachers have been trained in AVID techniques
250+ GHS AVID students have graduated & enrolled in college
$550,000+ in scholarships awarded to GHS AVID grads
75+ mentors paired with over 150 GHS AVID students