GPS AVID – Copy
The AVID program has over 40 years of proven success. AVID’s mission is close the opportunity gap among diverse and underrepresented demographic groups.
Learn more about the national AVID organization at AVID.org.
Entrance into GPS AVID requires a rigorous application and selection process; learn about this process and details about the program at AVID at Greenwich Public Schools.
AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is a national college readiness system. AVID identifies students in the academic middle from groups underrepresented in 4-year college & universities who have great academic potential.
AVID delivers a demanding college-prep curriculum and facilitates student involvement in extracurricular activities. The AVID program empowers all students to take ownership of their learning, prepare for tomorrow and become leaders.
The formula is simple – raise expectations of students and with the AVID support system, they will rise to the challenge. Over time, AVID’s impact is felt school-wide, as passionate teachers use the strategies gained from AVID professional training in all their classrooms.
Typical AVID Student Profile: C to B overall GPA, average test scores, college potential with support, desire & determination to work hard and succeed, good attendance record, often first generation in their family to attend college, from families where English is the second language and/or on the low socio-economic range.
GPS AVID TIMELINE
- 2009: Funded by an Alliance Reaching Out Grant, AVID launches as a full-credit elective at Greenwich High School
- 2013: With additional Alliance funding, AVID elective expands to Central Middle School and in 2015 to Western Middle School
- 2013: First AVID class (known as the “Sweet Sixteen”) graduates from GHS
- 2013: The Alliance establishes its Mentoring and Scholarship programs to support GHS AVID graduates
- 2014 (?): GHS AVID expands to two sections starting with Class of 2018
- 2019: WMS selects AVID School-wide as its magnet theme
- 2020: The Alliance launches a new initiative, AVID SUCCESS, to centralize and grow its AVID-related support activities
$250,000+ Alliance investment in AVID programs/training
500+ GPS students have benefited from AVID programs
150+ GPS teachers have been trained in AVID techniques
250+ GHS AVID students have graduated & enrolled in college
$550,000+ in scholarships awarded to GHS AVID grads
75+ mentors paired with over 150 GHS AVID students
____ AVID students have graduated from college